MEPCO’s Jim Laurita to continue as board chairman
WHITE SULPHUR SPRINGS — Members of the West Virginia Coal Association re-elected MEPCO’s Jim Laurita as chairman of the board of directors at the Association’s annual meeting in White Sulphur Springs this past week.
MEPCO is headquartered in Morgantown, West Virginia.
In comments to the organization, Laurita said stiff challenges remain ahead for the industry, both in West Virginia and the nation, but he remains confident that coal will continue to play the central role in meeting our nation’s energy needs.
“There is no question, we are faced with some difficult challenges,” Laurita said. “But our coal and the people who mine it are the best in the world. The rest of the world knows the value of coal – and of West Virginia coal specifically – and I firmly believe our future is what we make it.”
In addition to Laurita, Association members elected the following officers to the executive committee for 2013-2014. (Terms ending August 2014)
- Immediate Past Chairman – Gary White (James River Coal)
- 1st Vice-Chairman— Kevin Crutchfield (Alpha Natural Resources)
- 2nd Vice-Chairman— Jimmy Brock (Consol Energy)
- Secretary— Charles Snavely (Arch Coal)
- Treasurer— Andrew Jordon (Pritchard Mining)
- Asst. Treasurer— Ben Hatfield (Patriot Coal)
- Associate Division Chairman – Tim McClean (Walker Machinery)
- Member at Large, General Membership – Jimmy Bunn (Coal River Energy)
- Member at Large, General Membership – Warren Hylton (Patience Coal)
- Member at Large, Associate Membership – Pat Graney (Pilot Logistical Services)
Bill Raney remains as WVCA president and is joined by Chris Hamilton as senior vice president and Jason Bostic as vice president.
Re-elected to serve on the board of directors were: (Elected for three-year terms)
- Jim Bunn II (Coal River Energy)
- Kevin Crutchfield (Alpha Natural Resources)
- Ben Hatfield (Patriot Coal)
- Andrew Jordon (Pritchard Mining)
- Dave Thomas (Alliance Coal)
- Dave Webb (Cliffs North America)
- Gary White (James River Energy)
- Nick Carter (Natural Resource Partners)
- Chris Supcoe (Crown Hill Equipment)
- Wayne Thomas (Joy Mining Machinery)